- Tetsuya Kakihara as Natsu Dragneel
- Aya Hirano as Lucy Heartfilia
- Rie Kugimiya as Happy
- Yūichi Nakamura as Gray Fullbuster
- Sayaka Ohara as Erza Scarlet
- Satomi Satou as Wendy
- Yui Horie as Carla/Charle
The issue is also revealing three film-original characters:
- Sonia, a beautiful young woman.
- Zash, a man who looks both evil and strong.
- Animus, a man who looks like a king based on his garments, and whose expression suggests he has an ulterior motive.
Tatsuma Minamikawa (episode director for Aldnoah.Zero, Attack on Titan, Haganai NEXT) is directing the film at A-1 Pictures. Shoji Yonemura is returning from the previous two television anime series to write the script, Yuuko Yamada (chief animation director for Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East, Persona 3 the Movie #3 Falling Down) is the character designer and chief animation director, and Yasuharu Takanashi is returning from the previous anime series and Fairy Tail Zero to compose the music. GAGA is distributing the film.
The manga follows the adventures of world's most notorious mage guild, Fairy Tail. The manga already inspired two television anime, several previous original video anime projects, and spinoff manga. The franchise's first anime film, Fairy Tail the Movie: Phoenix Priestess, opened in Japan on August 18, 2012.
The television anime series also revealed in March that a new project is in the works.
Del Rey published the first 12 volumes of the original manga in North America, and Kodansha Comics resumed publishing the manga in English with the 13th volume in 2011. Crunchyroll streamed the second television anime into several countries as it aired in Japan, and Funimation has been releasing DVD/Blu-ray Disc sets.